living,

Seoultastic experience

10:43 Lox 0 Comments

Beginning is always the hardest

South Korea is probably the furthest place anyone can think of. And nobody thinks they’ll get there at any point in their life, unless traveling is what you do for a living. Certainly I wasn’t thinking about getting there at any point, and traveling is not what I do for a living no matter how much I’d want it to be.
 
Somehow I did end up in South Korea for my placement year. Studying at Korea University has been one of the most interesting experiences I’ve had so far. Unlike anything I have been through, even though I did go through a major change when moving to the UK, going to South Korea has been more stressful. I have started my placement on the 1st of September. The long flight tired me out, but it did not damper the anxiousness and jitters. Before starting university we had an orientation week where we met our Korean Buddies (imagine student ambassadors). They had planned the whole week for us, helping us accommodate and get used to the country and language. We visited lots of places such as the Blue House and the Gyeongbok Palace. They took us to see Nanta, we had lunches and dinners. And the most amazing thing of them all we went to Lotte World (think Disneyland). I could go on forever about the amazing time we had whilst that orientation week. For now I will just talk about a day in my life.
 

Allons-y

Before I start, I have to mention I am a third year Biomedical Science student at Aston University. I will also specify that study placements are completely different than work placements, I am pretty sure everybody knows what going to lectures is like. And that you have enough free time (sometimes you do before exams only for it to be cruelly snatched away during exam time) for yourself. That is why I will incorporate a day in my life “lecture style” and a day in my life “skiving style”. A day in my life no matter what the day is, and no matter what I have to do that day, starts bright and early in the morning; got college and gym to thank for that. I would gym at least 3 times a week, thus I’d be up right before the sun, drink my coffee for that extra boost on the rooftop, watch the sunrise- and as romantic as that might sound the smoggy Seoul and the prospect of sweating on the treadmill killed every romantic streak that might have. I did enjoy going to the gym with my friends and enjoy the inbuilt TV on the treadmill. At least KBS Music (sort of like MTV in Korea) killed the boredom and Proustian effect of running on the treadmill.
 

Living situations

 

Our Livingtel (student friendly accommodation outside of campus) is not far from the campus at all if you like walking that is and if you study on the main campus it’d take about 10 minutes; if you happen to study on the science campus you either love walking (20-30 mins) or you pay 1,250KRW less than 1GBP which might not seem like a lot, but when you have to do this at least three times a day it becomes costly. Every house or apartment block in Korea has a rooftop with either a small garden like ours or weightlifting gear (actually wondering who uses those, haven’t seen anybody use them). Each flat occupies a floor and it has 9 rooms with en suite bathrooms and a small kitchen which is not useful if you’re Gordon Ramsay, but for a student who lives more on microwavable food it works out perfectly. In Korea it is polite to take your shoes off when you enter a flat and we had to abide by that otherwise we would have had a very upset manager on our case. The rooms were not extremely big, however, I was mostly out and about so that did not bother me at all. I know some people use their rooms to study instead of library, I did not. Korea has such an extensive range of coffee shops that I opted to study there instead of the library or my room.

Siri, wake me up at 6am

On a day when I actually had lectures I would get my shower after gym (no stinky allowed), eat breakfast (no fainting allowed) and set off at least 30 minutes before lecture. I have to add, I do love walking and I mostly chose my own two feet to take me to the university, I wanted to change my mind so many times though, because it is not only walking, but also ‘hiking’. Seoul is full of hills and mountains, and there are very few streets that don’t require your leg muscles in perfect shape.

I’ll start work when my coffee does

 

I would stop by one of the cafes and grab a coffee and usually I’d have my lunch from the convenience stores that pepper the city. The majority of my lectures were after lunch when my mind would start to fall asleep, especially after the gym session, thus refilling the battery was needed and brave the hills and the crowd and get to lectures. I would be there for a while and afterwards I would either head off to one of the cafes or home to study. Sometimes I would grab dinner with friends, or eat at home. The prospect of microwavable food does not sound very tempting for me so I mostly ate out. The menus would be extensive and you’d have a range of good, tasty and cheap foods (would not go over 10GBP for 3 people) sometimes we’d go out drinking or just to enjoy ourselves. Then we’d go back home and try to head off to bed. I say head off to bed (I’m talking about 12-1am)  but we’d end up goofing around for around 2 more hours. The exchange students I have met have been amazing and we have exchanged a lot of customs and had a good time finding out about each other.

Ready, set….relax!

 

Now, on a “skiving” day, that is where things get complicated. We’d go and try to visit places. Our knowledge of the language being limited though, I say try, we mostly got lost, or melted on the way there. Summers in Korea are worthy of the word ‘hell’. We’d go visit places like Myeongdong, Itaewon and Gangnam and spend all the money we’d have with us only to complain later we shouldn’t have done that. All in good fun though so it was all worth it. We’d eat street food and laugh at the overpriced imported clothes.

At the end of the day…

At night we’d go out clubbing (we’re still young and all that YOLO got to us) mostly in Hongdae and Gangnam. Clubs in Seoul are extremely expensive but you get your money’s worth. The music and atmosphere makes it all worth it. Plus, looking at it, the clubs look all fancy and good in any picture.
 

In the end I can say that, even though not expected, my experience in Seoul, South Korea and at Korea University has been an amazing one. I have only one complaint though…even after 4 months I still don’t know how to say ‘I don’t want any more drinks thank you’.
 

  Lox

You Might Also Like

0 comments: