advice,

Back from Korea- Surviving the after effects of being away for a long time

03:00 Lox 0 Comments




Getting home, into a queen sized bed, in a room that is fit for a queen, and by that I mean in size, all feels amazing. No matter how much of a traveller, it is still amazing to have someplace to call home. No matter how much I love seeing places or how much I love sitting on a plane for hours on end- that is a lie by the way because let’s be honest who enjoys being dehydrated, lacking sleep, having cramped legs and bottom and looking overall as good as the character from The Covenant, I am happy to properly sit and enjoy the feel of ‘home’. A cup of tea in hand, a book, music, the smell of cooked food, people that have known me all their life- this is all the elements that make ‘home’ for me.

Having enjoyed the feel of home for at least 2 weeks now, and reality settling in, bills to pay, houses to move, getting back into that old routine I had set up and realised that I missed, I am also realising that this all feels strange to me now. Kind of like when you miss important bits in someone’s life and you don’t know how to greet them because you are aware you have been out of their lives for a while- somehow the familiarity is still there but there is something hindering that long, friendly hug that you want to give them and instead settle for an awkward handshake or pat on the back. Reality and home is nice, but after 8 months you tend to have residues of them still stuck onto you. I can’t say how many times I have looked on the street and seen Korean fashion everywhere- probably because right now the Korean fashion is the fashion rave of the moment. Korean beauty products certainly seem to be. I still have bits and pieces of things, including the way I act, that are still stuck in Korea. They’re slowly going away, and somehow, I am sad to see them go away. Having acquired them all throughout this amazing experience and still experiencing them, is a great proof for my own self. That I had actually been there, that it did happen.
So, getting back into things is decently difficult after spending some time away from them. Especially since a lot of things have happened around here (Brexit, new PM, blah blah). Being on another continent kind of made me feel as if I’d been living on a remoted island away from civilisation, when in fact I had been living in the heart of it. So how I get back into things?

1.       Moving

Moving is not much fun really. I mean yes, you get the new fresh start of things so it does not feel as if you have to get back again to being used to a place you lived in, at the same time it does not exactly feel like home. So make it at home. Moving is a great way to start afresh. And I don’t mean yes, you have to move to feel better about being away from things. No, just change some things around the house. Make it ‘look new’ if not new completely. Change up the furniture arrangement, buy that new duvet, get fresh bed sheets, buy new picture frames (all those polaroids have to go somewhere don’t they). Get creative.

2.       Walk

Yes, walk. It is a great way to get reacquainted with the places you have known like the back of your hand but now seem more like a dream. A walk through the city centre, a walk into that park, pub, cinema etc. Plus, you get your daily dose of exercise, so why not kill two birds with one stone?
3.       Visit some of your favourite places

For me I can say, city centre, cinema and the library were my favourite places. And now that I am back at it again when visiting them, I get the chance to fall in love with them all over again. It reminds me why I had been loving them so much, and it gives me a new opportunity to look at them with fresh eyes and notice little things I have not before. So get back on those horses and see what has become of your favourite places. What do you know, maybe on the way you find new ones, or even fall more in love with the old ones.
4.       Call up people you have been spending time with before

It might come off as a surprise- or not, but I am fairly bad at keeping in contact with people. I don’t do it on purpose, I just find it very hard to keep looking at my phone whilst I have other things to do. Not like I have been dead, and with social media it was quite easy not to lose contact with them. Yes, it feels weird at the beginning, because communicating through messages for months is still not at intimate and close as communicating face to face, however, it gave me an opportunity to keep up with them and not encounter awkward answers such as ‘my boyfriend and I broke up last spring’ when you ask them how they’ve been. But meeting up with them now that I have the chance is a great way to catch up properly.
5.       Start afresh

Nothing stops you. Make a new routine, enjoy new things. I have realised I have changed quite a bit during this year, impossible not to. Nothing says I have to keep up with the old routine. I just have to make a new one, change things up a bit. Start afresh. (yes, that means now I brush my teeth after I eat. No, it does not mean I eat lunch for dinner and dinner for lunch…maybe breakfast for dinner)


So these are all the things I do/did to ease myself into that certain lifestyle I had up until leaving for Korea. It was not that hard, the thing that probably made it a bit worse was my own imagination that things have changed that much when in the end they did not. I did. So I had to figure out a way to get this new person to fit back into this unchanged scenery.


Lox

You Might Also Like

0 comments: