beauty,

Korean beauty products- Facemask edition

04:55 Lox 0 Comments


What I have used and loved/hated


Living in Korea for so long it was inevitable getting their beauty products, and I have heard about them for a long while now, even before all this craze started. I have had Korean friends that sent me products a long while back and whilst I did not think them amazing at the beginning, I thought they were good. Things have long changed since then, and most of all now I had the freedom of choice.

Living in the UK, it is not as easy to get Korean products here, mostly I would have to buy them online, and to pay £13 for a pack of 10 facemasks, when I could get them in Korea for as little as £6 makes no sense. Thus I bought them once, loved them, cherished them, but never purchased them again. Now, with going to Korea, I got to go crazy- well as crazy as my budget allowed me to go. Before I left home I had it all planned, there was no use to lug beauty products with me when I could buy and experience new ones. I have to admit though I did go with my essentials in tow- I can never go anywhere without my John Frieda Frizzease. My hair does not allow me any other products. The rest of them? Left them home happily.

Now, I will have to say though, Korean products are mostly engineered for their skin, meaning, you can find many products that are good for sensitive, breaking out, dry skin. But since my skin is very close to breakout free and not that sensitive or dry, but rather oily, I found products with much difficulty. Moreover, Koreans tend to use a whole range of products that were very unfamiliar to me. I am talking toner (which I have tried to use before this but my skin does not take lightly to it so I stopped), emulsified cream (which is a lighter version of a full on cream), serum (once again a whole category on its own- much lighter than the emulsion) and cream (here is the trick, their creams are thick! Unless you get a watery based one such as cucumber, green tea- mostly creams for oily skin). And they use them all. In one go.  As much as I love using face products, there is a limit to it, and my skin is not as thirsty. Thus, too many products make me feel like I tried to drown my face in oil, which make it produce more oil, which make me breakout.

So I stopped with only face washes, facemasks, cream, and the occasional use of samples, because lord knows when you go into a beauty store in Korea you buy two products and leave with a houseful of samples-I am not complaining!

As beauty brands go, you have again a variety- from high end ones like Hera (the Nicholas Kirkwood collab was amazing) to not so high end but still pricey like Etude, to decently priced ad good ones like Nature’s skin and itsskin etc. I can’t say I have tried them all, but I have tried a few of them. I will post separate posts on them however. Should be too ashamed to admit I have tried too many for one blog post but I will admit it proudly.

Facemasks


A great brand that I have found for affordable and good facemasks is The Face Shop( Online orders here). They have a variety of facemasks for different types of skins or areas you might have problems in. These are the ones I ordered for a ridiculous amount and loved. You have Green Tea, Kelp face masks for oily skin and clearing up, you have lemon and rice for brightening, you have pomegranate, blueberry for antioxidants, you have cucumber for hydration etc. There is a wide variety to choose from. The only problem is that they sell them in 10s and very rarely can buy individually. Now that wouldn’t be a problem if not for the fact that you get 10s of the same one. If you don’t have a favourite one, it is a bit inconvenient. What if you don’t like the one you got and you still have 9 to go through?


Some other brands that I have liked when it came to facemasks have been a very weird knockoff brand that looks very similar to Soap&Glory products. Faith in Face is a company apparently set up by experts from Canada, Korea and UK. However, it appears to be a brand based in Hong Kong. I could not find it in the UK, I could only find it in Korea and to order from Yesstyle and their own website (here). They are not pricey at all and you can only find them in Korea at a store similar to Sephora (or for UK people Superdrug or Boots) called Olive Young. They have different type of facemasks that are good for exfoliating, cleansing, purifying etc. I have used them the most ad I have to admit they are amazing.

For a more casual type of facemask I would say, ones that once again I have found in that store, Olive Young, Ariul 7 days Mask. (here )


I have to add though, Olive Young sold only foreign products, so technically it is not exactly Korean, but I found it in Korea so it doesn’t count. I have found these products online as well so I will put links to everything I found. However, some of the products, more specifically the very Korean ones I could only find on Amazon, Ebay or Yesstyle for a bit more than I got them.

Another facemask that I have loved is the Shingmulnara mask. It is a brand that is owned by CJ and can only be found in Olive Young. I liked them for the handy packaging and the fact that their masks are ‘portion size’ and clear masks. For me that was a saver on the plane. I used them on my flights to and from Korea. Easy to carry around and to put in a Ziploc bag for security purposes and it being clear it is easy to apply on the plane and leave it in for those 8 dreadful hours and it will leave the skin pampered and refreshed. Of course without getting weird looks from your in-flight neighbours. As I stated in my previous blog post, on long haul flights I enjoy pampering myself and taking care of my skin. Makes the time pass faster plus it is a good way to not feel so Debbie Downer once you land.  


Miscellaneous masks that I have used and decently hated I would have to admit were some of the masks from The Face Shop, before I realised the masks were for different types of skins I have used majority of them, and some for example the overly hydrating ones such as the cucumber ones and the blueberry one my skin hated and broke out the second day. Another one that my skin did not appreciate as much but it fared better than with the previous ones would be the TonyMoly Goat Milk Moisture Mask Sheet. These smelled amazing, I will have to give them that, however my skin did not like them. They are highly moisturising, maybe a tab bit more than my skin needed. My skin felt overwhelmed with all the moisture that it did not know what to do with it and transformed it into shine for at least two days after using the mask. For a natural glowy look those would be amazing, I am more the matte type of girl though.


These would be all the facemasks that I have used and loved/hated. Wished I have tried on more than that, however I cannot load my skin with product or else its response would’ve been more forceful than I was ready to take.

Lox

You Might Also Like

0 comments: