advice,

Shocks to experience in Korea

00:55 Lox 0 Comments


Busan seen from 36th floor


Be prepared to be shocked-City version

Either in a good or a bad way, depending on the way you view things, Korea is not what you would expect. I certainly was shocked, in a good way. Since the plane landed until I had to leave for the Christmas break, Korea never ceased to amaze me. I knew not to go there with any expectations, but it is impossible not to have any type of expectations. If you are an avid KPop listener or KDrama watcher then there is a certainty you’d build up expectations. Fortunately at that time, that stage had passed for me and I decided that TV and music are not enough to put any stamps on Korea for me. However, I will admit, I wouldn’t have minded to go through any of those cliché drama moments at the airport when the girl passes the guy she is about to become enamoured with, or I wouldn’t have minded luckily bumping into one of my favourite groups while at the airport. Wishful thinking and childish but a girl is allowed to dream right?

Maybe I did pass by some of them, maybe I saw some of them, I am so bad with faces and names when it comes to Korean actors/actresses/singers that whenever somebody just asks me who I like I just have a Google tab open and do the rude but well known pointing gesture; ‘This one’. Do no judge, there are so many of them that my brain just gave up after a while. Now I do not even bother. It did not bother me though, not being the lead in a makeshift drama. I was so amazed with everything that was going on around me that, ironically, I am pretty sure I did not take everything in. And I can tell you now, no matter how big your eyes may be, it is impossible to understand everything that might be going on around you straight off the bat.

If you are not a Korean drama fanatic or a Korean pop listener then you won’t be as pressured to form an opinion before, and I think this makes it a lot easier. You have a clean slate and you could write over that. So yes, in a way I am warning people to TRY and resist Korean dramas and Korean pop. Not that it would stop you in any way, one thing I have learnt is that you can’t resist them no matter how much you’d want to.
Anam junction on a good day-me being late basically

Shock over shock over crowd


I could talk on and on until my fingers hurt about the shocks you could experience whilst in Seoul, it does depend on the person though and how prepared they came. Some things that should’ve shocked me did not, and some things I thought I was ready for, turns out, I was not. So everything that has to do with culture shock is basically one’s experience. For me it had to do with meeting people, fashion, language, looks and little things that I did not think they should’ve shocked me but they did.
I went on long enough blabbering without giving any concrete example. This would be the perfect opportunity to do so. For example, things I was already prepared for; not talking loudly on the subway-which is more of a social rule than anything. I’m not normally a loud person, but I did change my opinion when I realized what the ‘Korean quietness’ means. Ironically since the city is always busy and loud, never been to New York but I would imagine Seoul gives it a run for its money when it comes to ‘the city that never sleeps’ title.
Anam junction on a normal day-me not being late


The loudness of the city is something that I thought I would be prepared for but I wasn’t. I am a city girl, and I am used to living in big, busy cities, however, Korean big, busy cities take the cherry on top. There is traffic at any time of the day or night, there is always somebody on the streets and unless it is a National Holiday, there is no way you will not encounter people any time of the day. Majority of the shops (convenience stores) are 24/7 and this makes it a lot easier for students that realise mid night they are hungry and they have no food, or they have midnight cravings. Or if you are in need of ‘party food’.
Subway during entrance exam madness

Subway shock


The subway environment is a lot different though, nobody speaks, people rarely speak and when they do it’s like they’re not so it doesn’t make a difference. Nobody eats, drinks on the subway. There is a general unspoken rule that you do not sit in the seats that are reserved for older people, pregnant women or people with certain disabilities. Thus even though nobody is sitting there and nobody seems to need them, they’re unoccupied. The other rule is that if you are younger and if you sit on a ‘normal’ seat and there are older people that come at the next stop and they have no seats, all the ahjummas and ahjussis (older women and men) will glare at you. In fact, it is better not to secure any seats at all, especially if the ride is shorter than 30 mins. If you know you’ll be standing for an hour or more on the subway, just go for a seat and ignore the stares. It’s bound to happen anyways.
Land of technology and umbrellas.

Also, do not stare if you see people with their phones everywhere, looking into their phones on the subway and my favourite, when walking down the street or crossing the road. And they rarely bump into anybody, it is like they have their own sensor attached to them. They do have the tendency to stop in the middle of the road so the people that are walking behind should be careful not to bump into them.

And because we are still during the cold season, and it is still raining and snowing and people are using their umbrellas everywhere, forget it. Do not use your umbrella if you do not want to get stuck into a ‘walkway traffic jam’. During the rainy season, everybody is out and about with their umbrellas, and I did say how busy the city is. Now, imagine all those people with an umbrella, and add the phone on top of that as well.  Welcome to human Flappy Bird!


I would have more things to say, however, I don’t think anybody has the patience to read them. I know I wouldn’t! I will only say that you have to come prepared for Seoul. As in, as prepared as you’d be for a marathon. Nobody waits for you here, they’re all just living their lives in a very busy, jammed manner. Now take a breather because I am sure this post is exactly like what I’ve just described about Seoul!

Lox

You Might Also Like

0 comments: